Bodily Injury AdjusterPOSITION SUMMARY:
Under management’s supervision, the Bodily Injury Adjuster is responsible for the investigation, evaluation, negotiation, and settlement of automobile bodily injury claims. The Bodily Injury Adjuster is also responsible for handling collision, rental, physical damage, and adverse subrogation claims associated with the bodily injury claims. The position requires the ability to assess liability and identify potential exposures covered under the Automobile Insurance Policy which arise out of automobile accidents.
Under limited supervision, the bodily injury adjuster handles bodily injury claims arising under commercial and personal automobile policies, including conducting detailed investigations of automobile bodily injury liability claims, conducting interviews, analyzing information in ISO/AIB databases, conducting and/or directing field investigations, assessing medical documentation, evaluating automobile bodily injury claims, processing property damage and rental claims, negotiating settlements, identifying and investigating coverage issues, identifying exposures, adjusting reserves, assessing liability including comparative negligence, recognizing subrogation opportunities, complying with claims handling best practices, identifying potential fraudulent claims for referral to the Special Investigation Unit.
Four-year college degree.
The position requires that the Bodily Injury Adjuster obtain state adjuster licenses for the states of Rhode Island and Connecticut and other states as may be required.
Minimum 3 to 5 years’ experience working as a Bodily Injury Adjuster with some property damage adjusting experience preferred.
Strong written and verbal communication and negotiation skills required, along with professional letter writing ability. Must be reliable and have a high level of initiative and self-motivation. Must be well organized and possess analytic and computer skills with the ability to prioritize and multi-task.
Automobile Claims RepresentativePOSITION SUMMARY:
Responsible for the investigation, evaluation, negotiation and settlement of automobile first party physical damage and third party property damage insurance losses. Initiates contact with injured parties to obtain claim information and establish potential exposure.
- Evaluates coverage, investigates and determines liability.
- Negotiates and settles property damage claims and applies comparative negligence where warranted.
- Conducts recorded statement interviews.
- Assigns appraisal to damaged vehicles within required time limits.
- Identifies injury exposures.
- Refers cases of suspected fraud to the Special Investigation Unit.
- Applies knowledge of company processes and procedures to explain requirements to callers.
- Maintains self-control in difficult situations.
- Communicates over the telephone in a courteous and pleasant manner, projecting confidence with a positive tone.
- Handles all returned company claim checks and checks made payable to the company in a timely fashion.
- Insurance coursework desirable – AIC preferred
- Rhode Island and Connecticut Adjusters Licenses preferred
- Minimum of two years handling automobile physical damage claims
- Familiar with varying laws of comparative negligence and safe regulations
- Familiar with window-based PC applications
- Able to type 50 words per minute.
- Capable of analyzing information presented and making decisions based on company guidelines.
- Past experience pertaining to the processing of clear liability automobile claims.
- Prior experience of automobile practices in the states of CT, MA, and RI.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Superior organizational skills required.
Customer Service Representative & Mail Room Support
The Customer Service position provides an exciting and challenging opportunity to work in a dynamic and fast-paced Customer Service environment while also supporting the essential business functions of a Property and Casualty Insurer by assisting in the company mail room.
The Customer Service Representative will excel in developing relationships, directly impacting our customers and agents, and demonstrating a true commitment to customer service excellence through positive, effective, and diplomatic oral and written communication skills. Knowledge of company billing, claims, and underwriting procedures is required, and the mail room is an excellent way to build the foundation for success in that area. Candidate has the ability to defuse negative situations with professionalism and maturity. The ideal candidate for this position should have excellent problem solving skills, and should feel empowered to resolve issues without escalation. A candidate for this position should be comfortable using virtual meeting applications for the purposes of training, coaching and mentoring from the department manager. The mail room portion of this role would be executed for approximately for 15 hours one week per month.
The Company is willing to train candidates that the meet the education and experience required through on the job training and our fully funded Tuition Reimbursement program.
• Resolves problems that require judgment based on company guidelines and philosophies in a timely manner.
• Initiates changes and corrections based on customer requests.
• Researches and analyzes billing, claims, and underwriting issues.
• Identifies trends and reports items to appropriate management.
• Applies knowledge of company processes to explain requirements to callers.
• Receive, sort and deliver mail and packages, both internally and externally.
• Operate mail room equipment; inserters and postage meters.
• Must be able to lift 35 lbs and stand for long periods of time.
Does not include all responsibilities that may be required to complete the job requirements for this position.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• A four year Degree is required.
• Prior work experience in customer service is preferred.
Assistant Underwriter Commercial Lines
Assist underwriters in a supportive underwriting capacity to help evaluate and process property and casualty risks. Confirm required information and acceptability in authorized classifications for renewal and new business transactions. Demonstrate strong clerical and technical skills to ensure accuracy and efficiency in our operating procedures while utilizing multiple systems. Identify opportunities to improve productivity and overall processes within the department and assist in developing these methods. Complete individual tasks quickly and accurately while also contributing to a team environment by accomplishing additional job-related responsibilities.
• Accurately rate assigned transactions using commercial lines rating manuals and/or available computer systems.
• Issue complete policy declarations and forms according to ISO and Quincy Mutual filings.
• Resolve rating questions and problems within the scope of his/her authority.
• Appropriately code and enter statistical and premium information for new issues, renewals, cancellations, endorsements, and reinsurance transactions into multiple systems.
• Perform test functions in the rating and operations of new systems or system updates per written and verbal instructions.
• Complete quality control checks of assigned product lines.
• Update operation manuals as information is received from various sources.
• Process and mail legal notice transactions for all product lines per state and ISO regulations.
• Receive applications and log information in an Excel spreadsheet.
• Assist in training new staff members.
• Review daily mail for processing.
• Order inspection reports and audits as requested by underwriters.
• Review and/or process loss control responses.
• Complete form letters in MS Office and diaries for follow up.
• Answer telephone, assist agents in customer service inquiries and determine the information to solicit for call referrals.
• Update and maintain agency list and new business logs.
• Conduct an initial review of inspections as received.
• Perform additional responsibilities as required.
• This job description is not all-inclusive and may include additional duties if needed.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience required.
A professional designation of Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter is preferred.
2-4years experience in the insurance field with an understanding of property and casualty terminology and underwriting practices preferred.
• Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
• Basic typing skills.
• Basic computer knowledge in word processing and excel spreadsheet applications.
• Ability to follow well-defined procedures with good organizational skills.
• Knowledge of insurance terminology necessary to accomplish rating functions and complete necessary policy forms.
• Ability to comprehend and utilize commercial insurance rating manuals.
• Aptitude to learn and apply knowledge to available computer systems for processing
• Analytical skills to evaluate discrepancies in manually prepared and/or system completed transactions.
• Ability to manually rate various insurance coverages using multi-step computations to obtain coverage premiums with consistent accuracy.
• Ability to read, understand and implement written company procedures and insurance regulations.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Ability to adapt to change in a fast-paced environment.
Personal Lines Underwriting Manager
Take responsibility for front line underwriting of an assigned territory. Evaluate personal auto, property, and liability risks for acceptance, denial, or amendment following the Company Underwriting Guidelines, philosophies, portfolio management concepts, and analytics.
Demonstrate superior technical skills and knowledge to ensure company goals are met. Manage the underwriting territory to produce an underwriting profit while maintaining consistent volume growth. Work with management, Business Analyst, Marketing, and other departments regarding the underwriting process, product development, and technical support. Review/ analyze monthly, quarterly and annual reports to identify and support profitable growth opportunities. Discuss findings with staff consistently.
Work with staff to utilize this information to make more informed decisions. Interact with Agents to build positive business relationships. Work with other company personnel to accomplish department and company goals.
Manage, train, and develop Underwriting staff based upon company guidelines, coverage, analytics, philosophy, and procedures. Set team goals and procedures. Assist team members and other underwriting staff to achieve customer service and production standards. Help establish, implement, and monitor underwriting procedures, processes, and workflow.
Take responsibility for front line underwriting of auto and property risks based upon portfolio management concepts, analytics, Company Underwriting guidelines and philosophy. Review, evaluate, and recommend for acceptance or denial of new and renewal Homeowner, Automobile, Personal Umbrella, and Dwelling Policies. Evaluate risks for such items as adequate coverage, type, amount, and location of risks. Pay specific attention to loss ratios, quality of new and renewal business, and agency compliance to company procedures to produce an underwriting profit and build the company’s personal lines book of business. Support long and short term business strategies to effectively achieve profit and growth objectives for assigned locations(s) through responsible marketing and sound underwriting.
Ensure that production and underwriting objectives concerning profitability are achieved.
Communicate and develop good productive relationships with the assigned agents keeping in mind that we are a service industry, and our agents are the customer. Look for ways to be more efficient by challenging current procedures and underwriting guidelines. Make suggestions, offer feedback, and communicate with management. Participate in rate filings, rule changes, marketing analysis, and state- mandated changes as needed. Interpret state and industry regulations and company policies pertaining to Personal Lines coverage’s.
Support growth Strategy, including participation in production calls and joint marketing activities. Trains, coaches, and serves as a technical resource to other underwriters. Provides mentorship that encourages individuals and the team to improve and accelerate performance.
Partner with Marketing Representatives and Management to support marketing activities by developing ongoing relationships with agents to discuss market appetite, quality and profitability of submissions, service standards, and underwriting and /or product changes. Communicates with agents on underwriting issues, including, but not limited to, decisions or cancellations, declinations, exposure concerns, and survey results.
Travels to assigned agent locations to develop agency partnerships. Monitors underwriting staff agency visits to maintain good service levels and meet underwriting/marketing goals and objectives. Performs other duties as assigned
This job description is not all-inclusive and may include additional duties if needed.
- Attained or working towards attaining their Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter Designation (CPCU).
- Ten years of experience in property and casualty insurance.
- Minimum of four years in a leadership role.
- Must have considerable knowledge of insurance coverage, laws, company policies, and procedures relating to personal lines underwriting.
- Ability to evaluate and identify the information required to make good underwriting decisions is required.
- Must possess excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills when working with both fellow employees and agents.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and be able to meet reporting deadlines consistently.
- Outstanding leadership ability.
- Manage Underwriting Assistants and Underwriting Technicians and evaluate their performance. Monitor team workflow and time service. Help establish consistent workflow procedures with management.
Personal Lines Assistant Underwriter- Operations Support
Assist underwriters in front line underwriting of assigned territory. Evaluate personal auto, property and liability risks for acceptance or denial in accordance with company underwriting guidelines and philosophies. Demonstrate skills to ensure company goals are met. Interact with agents to build positive business relationships. Work with other company personnel to accomplish department and company goals.
Provide support to the Underwriting department by processing the entry of homeowners, dwelling fire, personal auto and umbrella applications, endorsements, renewals and cancellations. Process in coming mail as paper, through Image Right, fax or email. In general, provide operational support as needed
Assist underwriters with reviewing and evaluating new, renewal, and endorsements for homeowner, automobile, personal umbrella, and dwelling policies to determine acceptability based on established guidelines. Evaluate risks for such items as adequate coverage, type, amount, and location of risks.
Communicate with agents via telephone, e-mail, fax, and through written correspondence. Develop good productive relationships with the assigned agents while remembering at all times that we are a service industry and our agents are the customers. Look for ways to be more efficient.
Provide operational support. This includes all aspects of the processing flow, and policy transactions.
Ensure that policy transactions are issued and changes are recorded accurately and in a timely manner by rating and/or entering transactions for Personal Lines. Such transactions may be quotes, new business, endorsements, cancellations or renewals.
Screen transactions to determine proper processing. Refer to underwriters those transactions that require their attention; complete transactions directly if within delegated authority limits.
Provide timely and professional customer service to agents to facilitate the processing of business. Communicate as needed with agents to obtain information needed to complete screening and transactions, etc. Contribute to effective marketing of the Company products by answering questions, resolve problems.
• Order and screen miscellaneous reports needed in the rating and underwriting processes, such a Motor Vehicle Reports, loss history reports, credit checks, outside inspections, loss control, etc.
• Perform customer service functions as directed.
• Field inbound phone calls from agents ensuring customer needs are met with the highest standards of quality and timeliness.
• Assist with the processing of new business applications, renewals, endorsements, cancellations, reinstatements and non-renewals.
• Develop relationships with agents to monitor and maximize quality of submissions.
• Verifies data and performs technical tasks in the data processing function.
• Examines, revises, approves and dispatches input and output materials according to established specifications.
• Handles escalated calls while using good judgment to make sound recommendations.
• Assist with the training and mentoring of junior team members.
• Maintain organized and fully documented Underwriting Files and databases on specific customer information and inquiries.
• Communicate (verbal and written) complex issues in ways that the customer easily understands and can successfully apply the solution.
• Flex communication style to match the customer need. Diffuses emotional customer situations effectively and recognizes when to escalate.
• Summarizes and communicates customer problems effectively to higher tier support and supportability.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to make good judgment and sound recommendations.
Bachelor’s Degree Required
Property & Casualty insurance courses preferred
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
• Detail oriented and ability to multi-task while meeting deadlines and achieving expected levels of quality and accuracy.
• Financial and technical aptitude.
• Strong learning ability and ability to adapt to change in a fast paced environment.
• Technical competence in underwriting/rating systems.
• Rating and entry expertise in multiple Personal Lines preferred, Worker’s Comp, Auto, package a plus.
• In-depth knowledge of underwriting guidelines for the transactions within authority limits (renewals, endorsements, cancellations, etc.)
• Must have mathematical skills and the ability to interpret and execute underwriting instructions accurately; be detail oriented with good follow-through skills.
• Experience in property and casualty insurance, with at least two years of practical exposure to assist underwriting is strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of insurance laws and procedures relating to underwriting and operational procedures is preferred.
• Must have the ability to evaluate and identify the information required to make good decisions.
• Must have good communication skills and interpersonal skills.
Quincy Mutual is committed to giving back to the community. Together with our employees and charitable partners, we strive
to make a positive impact on the community.
Resumes and inquiries may be submitted:
via email to:
via fax to:
via mail to:
Quincy Mutual Fire Insurance Company
P.O. Box 690392
Quincy, MA 02269-0392
Thank you for your interest in working for Quincy
Mutual. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.