Personal Lines Underwriting Manager
Take responsibility for front line underwriting of an assigned territory. Evaluate personal auto, property, and liability risks for acceptance, denial, or amendment following the Company Underwriting Guidelines, philosophies, portfolio management concepts, and analytics.
Demonstrate superior technical skills and knowledge to ensure company goals are met. Manage the underwriting territory to produce an underwriting profit while maintaining consistent volume growth. Work with management, Business Analyst, Marketing, and other departments regarding the underwriting process, product development, and technical support. Review/ analyze monthly, quarterly and annual reports to identify and support profitable growth opportunities. Discuss findings with staff consistently.
Work with staff to utilize this information to make more informed decisions. Interact with Agents to build positive business relationships. Work with other company personnel to accomplish department and company goals.
Manage, train, and develop Underwriting staff based upon company guidelines, coverage, analytics, philosophy, and procedures. Set team goals and procedures. Assist team members and other underwriting staff to achieve customer service and production standards. Help establish, implement, and monitor underwriting procedures, processes, and workflow.
Take responsibility for front line underwriting of auto and property risks based upon portfolio management concepts, analytics, Company Underwriting guidelines and philosophy. Review, evaluate, and recommend for acceptance or denial of new and renewal Homeowner, Automobile, Personal Umbrella, and Dwelling Policies. Evaluate risks for such items as adequate coverage, type, amount, and location of risks. Pay specific attention to loss ratios, quality of new and renewal business, and agency compliance to company procedures to produce an underwriting profit and build the company’s personal lines book of business. Support long and short term business strategies to effectively achieve profit and growth objectives for assigned locations(s) through responsible marketing and sound underwriting.
Ensure that production and underwriting objectives concerning profitability are achieved.
Communicate and develop good productive relationships with the assigned agents keeping in mind that we are a service industry, and our agents are the customer. Look for ways to be more efficient by challenging current procedures and underwriting guidelines. Make suggestions, offer feedback, and communicate with management. Participate in rate filings, rule changes, marketing analysis, and state- mandated changes as needed. Interpret state and industry regulations and company policies pertaining to Personal Lines coverage’s.
Support growth Strategy, including participation in production calls and joint marketing activities. Trains, coaches, and serves as a technical resource to other underwriters. Provides mentorship that encourages individuals and the team to improve and accelerate performance.
Partner with Marketing Representatives and Management to support marketing activities by developing ongoing relationships with agents to discuss market appetite, quality and profitability of submissions, service standards, and underwriting and /or product changes. Communicates with agents on underwriting issues, including, but not limited to, decisions or cancellations, declinations, exposure concerns, and survey results.
Travels to assigned agent locations to develop agency partnerships. Monitors underwriting staff agency visits to maintain good service levels and meet underwriting/marketing goals and objectives. Performs other duties as assigned
This job description is not all-inclusive and may include additional duties if needed.
- Attained or working towards attaining their Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter Designation (CPCU).
- Ten years of experience in property and casualty insurance.
- Minimum of four years in a leadership role.
- Must have considerable knowledge of insurance coverage, laws, company policies, and procedures relating to personal lines underwriting.
- Ability to evaluate and identify the information required to make good underwriting decisions is required.
- Must possess excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills when working with both fellow employees and agents.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and be able to meet reporting deadlines consistently.
- Outstanding leadership ability.
- Manage Underwriting Assistants and Underwriting Technicians and evaluate their performance. Monitor team workflow and time service. Help establish consistent workflow procedures with management.
Personal Lines Assistant Underwriter- Operations Support
Assist underwriters in front line underwriting of assigned territory. Evaluate personal auto, property and liability risks for acceptance or denial in accordance with company underwriting guidelines and philosophies. Demonstrate skills to ensure company goals are met. Interact with agents to build positive business relationships. Work with other company personnel to accomplish department and company goals.
Provide support to the Underwriting department by processing the entry of homeowners, dwelling fire, personal auto and umbrella applications, endorsements, renewals and cancellations. Process in coming mail as paper, through Image Right, fax or email. In general, provide operational support as needed
Assist underwriters with reviewing and evaluating new, renewal, and endorsements for homeowner, automobile, personal umbrella, and dwelling policies to determine acceptability based on established guidelines. Evaluate risks for such items as adequate coverage, type, amount, and location of risks.
Communicate with agents via telephone, e-mail, fax, and through written correspondence. Develop good productive relationships with the assigned agents while remembering at all times that we are a service industry and our agents are the customers. Look for ways to be more efficient.
Provide operational support. This includes all aspects of the processing flow, and policy transactions.
Ensure that policy transactions are issued and changes are recorded accurately and in a timely manner by rating and/or entering transactions for Personal Lines. Such transactions may be quotes, new business, endorsements, cancellations or renewals.
Screen transactions to determine proper processing. Refer to underwriters those transactions that require their attention; complete transactions directly if within delegated authority limits.
Provide timely and professional customer service to agents to facilitate the processing of business. Communicate as needed with agents to obtain information needed to complete screening and transactions, etc. Contribute to effective marketing of the Company products by answering questions, resolve problems.
• Order and screen miscellaneous reports needed in the rating and underwriting processes, such a Motor Vehicle Reports, loss history reports, credit checks, outside inspections, loss control, etc.
• Perform customer service functions as directed.
• Field inbound phone calls from agents ensuring customer needs are met with the highest standards of quality and timeliness.
• Assist with the processing of new business applications, renewals, endorsements, cancellations, reinstatements and non-renewals.
• Develop relationships with agents to monitor and maximize quality of submissions.
• Verifies data and performs technical tasks in the data processing function.
• Examines, revises, approves and dispatches input and output materials according to established specifications.
• Handles escalated calls while using good judgment to make sound recommendations.
• Assist with the training and mentoring of junior team members.
• Maintain organized and fully documented Underwriting Files and databases on specific customer information and inquiries.
• Communicate (verbal and written) complex issues in ways that the customer easily understands and can successfully apply the solution.
• Flex communication style to match the customer need. Diffuses emotional customer situations effectively and recognizes when to escalate.
• Summarizes and communicates customer problems effectively to higher tier support and supportability.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to make good judgment and sound recommendations.
Bachelor’s Degree Required
Property & Casualty insurance courses preferred
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
• Detail oriented and ability to multi-task while meeting deadlines and achieving expected levels of quality and accuracy.
• Financial and technical aptitude.
• Strong learning ability and ability to adapt to change in a fast paced environment.
• Technical competence in underwriting/rating systems.
• Rating and entry expertise in multiple Personal Lines preferred, Worker’s Comp, Auto, package a plus.
• In-depth knowledge of underwriting guidelines for the transactions within authority limits (renewals, endorsements, cancellations, etc.)
• Must have mathematical skills and the ability to interpret and execute underwriting instructions accurately; be detail oriented with good follow-through skills.
• Experience in property and casualty insurance, with at least two years of practical exposure to assist underwriting is strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of insurance laws and procedures relating to underwriting and operational procedures is preferred.
• Must have the ability to evaluate and identify the information required to make good decisions.
• Must have good communication skills and interpersonal skills.
Quincy Mutual is committed to giving back to the community. Together with our employees and charitable partners, we strive
to make a positive impact on the community.
Resumes and inquiries may be submitted:
via email to:
via fax to:
via mail to:
Quincy Mutual Fire Insurance Company
P.O. Box 690392
Quincy, MA 02269-0392
Thank you for your interest in working for Quincy
Mutual. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.